Welcome to the lastest Just Posts roundtable, the monthly list of blogger writing on topics of social justice and activism compiled and hosted by Alejna and me.
It’s taken me 5 days to get this post up. Does that say enough about life in Cold Spaghetti land?
Some of the delay in posting is due to a conference presentation I gave over the weekend about health and infrastructure in New Orleans. Using a lot of maps, charts, and pictures, I gave the context for Louisiana, one of the poorest, least developed, States in our United States. (Enter joke. Our State motto: “Thank goodness for Mississippi,” lest we be last on ALL measures.) The level of vulnerability among those in the Gret Stet is extreme by any measure and when further defined by race, becomes unthinkable. But as far as we are down the hierarchy of outcomes, we are not so different than the rest of the country and indeed, not so different than the rest of the world. The images of inequality and despair burned into our minds after Katrina are not indicative of New Orleans. Those memories do not define or create a distinction for the rest of the country to use to separate themselves from our reality. Every place is just waiting for that moment when it all falls apart, when our inequalities, vulnerabilities, and differences can no longer be invisible.
And now, the all important list: The September Just Posts.
- BipolarLawyerCook with My best friend’s wedding…
- dmariemart of Argot with Minds of Our Own
- Emily of Wheels on the Bus with No More Hall Passes
- Erika at Be gay about it. with and Iowa: a proposal. and Iowa: mawwiage, that dweam within a dweam.
- flying tomato of Flying Tomato Farms with Quit the Bullsh*t–Public Option Now!
- girlgriot of if you want kin… with Street walking and Danger, Will Robinson! Don’t Go “Down There”!
- jen at one plus two with bob marley has definitely left the building
- Jenn at breed ’em and weep with Hi, I’m somebody
- laloca of baggage carousel 4 with the politics of counting and thinking about miscarriage
- Magpie of Magpie Musing with From the Rain Comes Hope
- Neil of Citizen of the Month with Tales of Health Insurance
- Painted of Painted Maypole with Why isn’t this a non-issue?
- Tami of What Tami Said with I’m saving my cheers over new, “authentic” black Barbie line
- wreke of wrekehavoc with guilty pleasure monday: millworker (james taylor)
- Zach Ford at Zach Ford blogs with Coming Out Might Be Easier, But It’s Still Hard
The posts of this month’s roundtable were submitted by:
Thanks so much for reading! We really appreciate your support. And not just appreciate it. We need your support to keep the Just Posts going. Please drop by Alejna’s to see what she has to say this month. If you have a post in the list above, or would just like to support the Just Posts, we invite you to display a button on your blog with a link back here, or to the Just Posts at Collecting Tokens. If you are unfamiliar with the Just Posts, please visit the information page.